SS#16 was the number of the one room school that we all attended. There are many stories associated with the school, and many will emerge as this memoir develops.For example, I started to the school school at age 5 and my brother, Ray, was the teacher. I must explain that the school and grounds were across the highway from our house. I stood on my side of the road and envied the kids who always seemed to be playing softball or tag or hide and seek just over there. And I was all alone.
Ray had gone to Ottawa Normal School after graduating from high school and his first job was right across the road from home. Just as well. He could live at home on the pittence they paid teachers in the 30's.
I guess my envy showed, and when I turned 5 on March 3, Ray took me across the road with him into the massive stone building to learn my abc's. It was heaven!
1 comment:
Glad you've started this up. I know some of this of course . . . some is new to me. I'll definitely keep track of how you tell the Henderson story.
Paul Henderson
Great-Great-Grandson of Thomas George
Post a Comment