Judy and Marty and Leah and Riley
by Judy Henderson
In 1985, my father sold the farm in Brome. This was the Henderson’s country get away since 1966. I actually feel that I grew up at the farm. It had all the things I loved: Skiing, Horses, Farming, Friends. Country life was something I grew to love and while growing up in Brome I knew I would always live in the area.
Eventually my love for horses lead me to college for equine studies and for some time I worked as a horse trainer and became a riding instructor. When my father sold the farm, it was heart breaking for me. When we left there, I was sure I would never go back, it would be too difficult. It was like leaving a good friend. Anyway, I moved on and found a new place to keep my horses and a few years later I rented my own little place on Brome Lake.
In 1991, I started a new job working in sales in transportation and customs brokerage and spent time with horses and gave riding lessons to various people as a side line. In August 1993 a student who I had taught for some time over the years, but then lost touch with, called me. Stephanie asked me if I could meet her, and evaluate her and her new horse. She wanted to go in a horse show, but was not sure she would have time to prepare. She wanted me to help get her ready. I agreed to meet her. Stephanie then gave me the address. It was our old farm! I was shocked and quite hesitant at first. Then with something stuck in my throat I told her I would be there. Ouch!
The day came and I drove down that driveway with such apprehension. I arrived at the barn with my little dog, " Prancy" in the back wagging her tail whining with excitement. Of course ! She was elated to be back. This was her home too! I walked into the barn, looking for my student. This was hard because everything was the same as it was. My old stable! I then met up with Stephanie’s boy friend, Mike. Mike told me to go out to the riding ring and I would find her there. So, I went out to my old riding ring where I had taught so many lessons and trained many horses. There at ring side, stood a very handsome young guy, Marty! Well, that is when I met Marty.
My student then, Stephanie, is now a very close friend who has two horses in my stable in Fulford. Her daughter Allison is very good friends with our daughter, Leah. Allison is like Leah’s big sister. They ride together and share in their love of horses.
We look back on that day and remember the farm and not only did my friend Stephanie bring Marty and I together, but my old farm was the place we met!
Marty and I soon moved in together and then we bought our small house in Fulford in October of 1995 . I became pregnant in 1997 and Leah Renee Lavoie was born Sept 18, 1997. Because I would be 40 in 2001, I wanted to have our second child soon. I did not want to wait So I became pregnant in 1999 and Riley Andrew Lavoie was born Feb 7th 2000.
They are both is school at Knowlton Academy, which is an English School but progressing to be a Bilingual School. They do many subjects in French. They are both fluent in French as Marty speaks French to them, and I speak English.
They do well is school and have a lot of friends.
Riley has become quite the little hockey player. He and his father enjoy this sport together. Marty is on the team of coaches and they travel around to tournaments. They watch the Montreal Canadians with passion, and whenever possible Marty takes Riley to a game in Montreal. Riley is a very good soccer player as well. It is a lot of fun to watch.
Leah’s big passion in life is Gymnastics. She started this when she was in grade 1 and since then, she has excelled in the sport. She does 7 hours of practice in a week. She is a member at a local Gymnastics Club in Granby and she participates in competition and has many medals hanging in her room.
Leah and I enjoy the horses together. Leah has a horse too. She competes as well and really loves it.
No comments:
Post a Comment